Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ravelympics!

Thanks to the beauty that is Ravelry, I may actually watch part of the Summer Olympics for the first time in I don't know how long. Most likely I'll only watch Team USA Basketball. What are the Ravelympics? I'm glad you asked! Here's the text taken from Ravelry.

The First International Ravelympics Summer 2008 are open to any knitter or crocheter on Ravelry ready to challenge themselves to complete a project (or projects) within 17 days during the Summer Olympics.

Rules:

  1. The project must be a challenge for you to complete in 17 days.

  2. No casting on before Opening Ceremonies commence in Beijing.

  3. Finish before the flame goes out.

  4. You may swatch before the games. (I consider this “training.”)

At 8am Providence time (8pm Beijing time), whatever will I cast on?



For the Cowl Jump...
Beech Wood by Ilga Leja


Photo: Ilga Leja

I will be using my yummy Lotus Yarns Aura yarn in the colorway I Wanna Be Sedated. The challenge...actually knitting this yarn instead of petting and sniffing it for the rest of my life!

For the Sock Put...

Roundabout Socks by Ruth Greenwald


Photo: Ruth Greenwald

I will be using the first skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi in the colorway Irving Park. Can't wait to finally try the yarn that many have drooled over... The challenge? A pair of socks in 4 days! It's gonna happen people, mark my words!

For the Mitten Medley...

Vinterblomster mittens by Heidi Mork


Photo: Heidi Mork

Knit Picks comes through again with their Palette line in several coordinating shades of greens, yellow, and dark red. The challenge on this one is obvious. I am clearly insane for trying to add these to the mix with only 17 days to knit!! But they're soo cute, don't you think?

For the Sweater Sprint...

3-Hour Sweater, 1930s by Vintage


Photo: mjpowers

And of course, I needed to return to something comforting and somewhat safe...a vintage sweater made from Caron Simply Soft! The challenge with this sweater, which I hope to finish up second is the neckline. Never done keyhole before!

So there you have it folks! Four projects in 17 days...It's times like these that I wish I drank coffee!

Until next time...

5 comments:

juicyknits said...

I'm in for Ravelympics as well. I've got three projects to do. And I will definitely be watching basketball, but my heart will be beating for Lithuanian team. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I would compete but, being not a particularly fast knitter, I would lose before I barely got started. Oh well, good luck, My Little Darling, and to all the participants. - Mom

Sarah said...

Danke my Pucky! You could make me another scarf...hint, hint:) I'll find the yarn!

bySarah said...

I finished that cowl pattern in two evenings - I think you should knit it, but not for the olympics.
I vote for the mittens. Cute post, I love the way you described the different events you could participate in.

Unknown said...

You know I am insane...I'm making all four!