Friday, July 27, 2007

Grrrr....

Okay, I have to confess. I HATE ribbing. It makes me want to throw things across the room. In fact last night I did just that. Turns out I forgot to change needles and only figured this out after knitting 2" of 2X2 ribbing!!! After contemplating scrapping the entire sweater rather than remove the two inches and start over, I took a deep breath, and slowly removed the Size US 9 needle. After making two knit inches of yarn spaghetti, I was faced with a second challenge - picking up nearly a hundred stitches with a circular needle. As I wove the Size US 8 needle in and out of the stitches, I realized with horror that they were dropping like flies. I scrambled to pick them up any way I could, and finally breathed a sigh of relief...until I started the ribbing again. A complete and total catastrophe! Twisted stitches, dropped stitches, loosened ladders. You name it, and I had it. It took me eons to fix the madness, but I am happy to report that I sort of did. After all the headaches of the ribbing fiasco, I still can look forward to another 4.25 inches of ribbing:( To make up for this, I bribed myself by making the gauge swatch for the Rhiannon socks. The yarn I chose, purely out of lust, seems to include more stretch than I noticed while I fondled it in the store. That being said, I refuse to buy a) more yarn or b) more needles. So I'll make it work somehow. I'll keep you posted on the progress, and I may throw a blog party when that darn ribbing is finished. Until then...

No comments: