Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Non-Resolution Health Resolution

Around Thanksgiving, I decided to try to eat cleaner. I saw an infomercial. Yes, I know what you're thinking. "An infomercial? Sarah, are you really that naive?" Indeed, I can be naive, but this infomercial was by Jillian Michaels. And she was talking about clean eating. Clean eating means basically minimally processed foods without chemicals and other evils like high fructose corn syrup and preservatives. I went into it skeptical. I don't watch The Biggest Loser. I'm just not a touchy-feely TV viewer. But what she was saying sounded right, it made sense. So I kept listening, and by the end of the program, my mom and I were ready to truck out to Barnes and Noble and buy her book, Mastering Your Metabolism. Best book purchase of 2009.

Long story short, I have been eating clean at home, making more meals, swapping whole wheat for enriched pasta, eating more organic fruits and veges, free-range chicken, and organic yogurt and dairy. And you know something, I feel better. I slip up now and again, but generally I am sticking to it, and even discovered I like the taste/texture of brown rice more than white! Who knew? So while I didn't make an actual resolution, it has turned into one by accident. I'll update you on my new clean lifestyle (lots of yoga, cleaning with vinegar and baking soda, baking/cooking) in the coming days. There is probably only so much New Age stuff you can handle at once on a craft blog :)

To tide you over, I will leave you this link to Smitten Kitchen's Sour Cream Bran muffins. I'm baking them now before my Power Vinyasa class! (Recipe Modifications: Added 1 tsp of baking powder (by accident); baked in paper-lined muffin pan.)

Until next time...

4 comments:

Knitting Up A Storm said...

Good for you! I just started getting back into exercising...and eatting more fruits and veggies (although not organic, but fruit is fruit on a budget).

Patti (from Ottawa) said...

Followed link from Ravelry, Hello!

Sounds like you would be interested in Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food. He's good.

Anonymous said...

I'd read Jillian Michaels with a grain of salt. She's got her name on some super-sketchy-sounding diet supplements.

Unknown said...

Anonymous, I avoid drugs like the plague, unless absolutely necessary, but I would agree that diet supplements definitely go against her message. Luckily, in her book, she doesn't push any drugs at all. Only living clean. And everyone can get behind not eating chemically-coated food, sleeping more, and purging our home of toxins. Even if she has now lost her way...