Monday, March 22, 2010

Movie Review: Remember Me

I'll be honest. I went to see Remember Me for the eye candy. I'm a Twilight fan, and I love Robert Pattinson. But I was actually shocked at how good it was. About 30 minutes in, I even found myself thinking, "gee, I thought this was gonna be an angsty teeny movie with RPattz...Pierce Brosnan's in this?? Chris Cooper's in this?? Isn't that the girl from Lost??? WTF?"


Great story, really powerful filmmaking. I was crying within the first 15 minutes of the film. Even though you can feel what's coming, it's still heartbreaking. What follows is expert character development, great acting, and an easiness the cast shares that translates to interactions on screen that ring true. From the sister, to father, to the roommate, you care about every single character.

The ending, which is better than most recent suspense films, actually was a complete shock. Again, I knew SOMETHING was gonna happen because of the mood set by the music, and the camera work, but WHAT happened, I totally didn't see coming, and I cried again. It's in the last 10 minutes that you realize the genius of the film's title. You assume that the remembrance is for the people revealed in the story, but it actually extends to a much larger group that will never be forgotten in America... Very unusual film considering the usual drivel that Hollywood had been churning out lately.

If you've passed on this movie because you think its a non-vampiric Twilight rip-off, FORGET that Robert Pattinson is in it. He disappears completely into his character and you may even forget he was ever Edward...



Director: Allen Coulter

Cast: Robert Pattinson, Emilie De Ravin, Pierce Brosnan, Chris Cooper


No comments: